This project is located in the Weststadt of Heidelberg, in a dense residential neighborhood. The focus of the project is the renovation of an artists' café built in 1950, located deep in the center of the housing block. In subsequent years, this building was used for residential purposes, and it will once again be utilized as housing, with a portion dedicated to commercial use.
The design approach began with a deconstruction of the modifications to the original construction. The reconstruction of a two story space fronting a private garden was made possible through the resurrection of the original architecture. The second level gallery is again put to use, but instead of being a space designed for the exhibition of art and fashion, it will be used as a space of familial gathering, communication, and study. The party walls have been carefully incised with narrow, full height openings, to ensure natural illumination from two sides of every room. The addition of a third storey at the roof level provides private space and a south facing roof terrace.